[GRASSLIST:2014] Re: Newbie introduction

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Tue Jun 26 04:54:00 EDT 2001

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2001 at 06:02:56PM -0400, Lars Bromley wrote:
> Use 5.0pre, works just fine. I've used three distors with GRASS (Slackware, Mandrake, and Red Hat) and all worked fine.
>
> Hope it helps,
> Lars

> Dear GRASS List,
>
> I am certainly a newbie at GIS, and GRASS.
> I have a VA linux box with 6.2.3 (~RedHat 6.2).
> It uses a celeron 400 for processor.
>
> 1) Should I install and use 4.3 Grass or 5.0.0pre1?

due to the interesting new features and so many bugfixes I can recommend
5.0.0pre1.

> 2) Is there a page of documentation suggesting which Distros will work well
> with GRASS?

There is no need for such page as GRASS shall work on any distro. be sure
to fulfil the requirements (tcl/tk, MESA).

> 3) Has anyone used with GRASS GIS, from USGS and
> http://terraserver.microsoft.com
> to collect the 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 meter black and white images of the USA.
> And the "World File" data for each image, to use with GIS?

If you think of TIF/TFW maps, they can be imported with
 - r.in.tiff
 - r.in.gdal

Especially r.in.gdal supports many (!) formats including such auxilliary
files like .tfw.

Hope this helps,

 Markus Neteler