[GRASSLIST:2033] Re: Update-Problem GRASS 5 Beta 8-->GRASS 5.0Pre1

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Thu Jun 28 10:07:32 EDT 2001

On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 12:50:48PM +0200, Stefan Rothe wrote:
> Hi out there,
>
> I have a (mental?) update-problem. When I copy my Locations
> from a machine running with SUSE 6.4 and GRASS 5 Beta 8
> to a machine running SUSE 7.2 and GRASS 5.0Pre1
> I receive the message "...not a valid GRASS-location"
> whenever I try to open it within the new GRASS.

[Justin has been answering this one]

[...]
> And do I have to convert all my d.rast-maps due to the
> UNISYS-patent hassle?

If you generated the database with a GRASS 5 version older than
bet11, you have to convert. Luckily there is a program "r.lzw2z"
which converts entire locations on-the-fly (go for tea meanwhile
in case of a large location). Details and the program "r.lzw2z"
is available from here:

http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/announces/announce_lzw_removal.html

We didn't include it in GRASS as then the LZW would be back in GRASS :-)
So the "r.lzw2z" is distributed extra.

Hope this helps,

 Markus