[GRASSLIST:1676] Re: Voxel data

Markus Neteler neteler at geog.uni-hannover.de
Wed Mar 28 07:22:53 EST 2001

Hi Artemis,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 05:13:26PM +0700, Artemis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My question is on working with grid3d
> datasets. I have some point data of
> the following format:
>
> east north top bottom
>
> It was taken from bore hole data
> and is representing a metal vein
> (top and bottom are the top and bottom
> of the vein in the hole).

to store such data you would need this structure:

 east1 north1 z1 val1 val2 ...
 east2 north2 z2 val2 val2 ...

This you can import with
 s.in.ascii d=3 in=input.asc sites=out

> When I interpolate either top or bottom
> values with s.vol.idw, I get the vein
> displayed but like a thin band stretching
> from the very top to the very bottom of the
> 3d-box.
>
> Perhaps I do something wrong or I need
> to get some additional data?
I fear that s.vol.idw is somewhat broken. In fact the entire G3D modules/
library have some problems, see the bug list here:

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/~checkout~/grass/src.contrib/GMSL/g3d/src3d/BUGS

However, the s.vol.rst module seems to work o.k (precompiled binary here:
http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/linux/)

We need volunteers who analyse the inconsistencies in G3D lib and modules.

Regards

 Markus Neteler