[GRASSLIST:1866] Re: basin area

Roger S. Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Wed May 23 17:59:59 EDT 2001

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Daniel Amorese wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please, can you tell me how  (what are the different steps ?) to
> compute the area of each drainage basin output by r.watershed ?
> Any assistance is much appreciated.

Use the r.stats command with the -a flag set.  The cells within each basin
defined by r.watershed are assigned the same category value.  The command
prints a list of raster categories and the area (in square meters)
represented with that category.  In the case of r.watershed basins, those
areas are the watershed areas.

r.stats will also calculate a number of other values if you ask it to.

Roger Miller
Lee Wilson and Associates