[GRASSLIST:1882] Re: Importing USGS SDTS DLG maps from differing datums? I'm confused. [very long]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun May 27 12:41:58 EDT 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Roger S. Miller wrote:

> I believe you were correct that the boundaries of the two maps should
> *not* have overlain after the conversion.  So I did a complete conversion
> manually to check GRASS' results.

Roger,

  You have what appears to be a complete description of the conversion
algorithm in your message. Would you be willing to make your untility
programs available to the rest of us who have to cope with mixed-data
(NAD27, NAD83), too?

  Many areas use both older and newer data. In my former life, working with
MapInfo, I converted everything to NAD83/feet (because that's what many
regulatory agencies want) and the applicable State Plane Coordinate zone.

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)