[GRASSLIST:2672] Re: grasslinks for grass5

Len Coop coopl at ippc2.orst.edu
Mon Nov 19 13:16:29 EST 2001

Alex,
I have begun some significant improvements to Berkeley/Regis GRASSLinks 3.1 (single perl script),
including the new features/abilities listed below. I am planning to continue these improvements for
at least a year and am contemplating writing major grants to support the effort. I have not
"packaged" the current changes yet but
could hopefully get to that fairly soon. Eventually I would like to incorporate the additional
features of GRASSLinks 2.5, which remains shell script based, and can be seen at
http://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grasslinks/

The Regis Perl script Glinks 3.1 is better engineered/programed than the many small shell scripts
approach, IMO, and find is has great potential for updates (unless you dont like Perl, but I do like
Perl).

The problem with Glinks 3.1 ( http://www.regis.berkeley.edu/glinks/ ), is that installation is
rather tricky. Making it easier is a #1 priority. My own in-development GRASSLinks site is at
http://ippc2.orst.edu/glinks

Regis has not done much with GRASSLinks since 1998 or so and seems to be working more with ARCIMS
these days.

I am thinking that future GRASSLinks development could be shared via sourceforge.
Len

# Changelog version 3.1.2beta - L. Coop IPPC Oregon State University
# - Added LatLong support
# - Modify display appearance to make better use of screen real estate
# - Add Site Labels and p.map Legends capabilities as options
# - Add siteform and vectorform query feature to bring up FORM with
#   custom queries for the selected site/polygon: for databases and other #  #   external
applications
# - Add site marker options including standard sizes plus user-constructed
#   icons (made with p.icons).
# - Multiple GRASS Locations support - now tracked/specified as the 5th field
#   for project descriptions in the GL_list file, example:
#        project|n|DD Calculator: NW States||nw_nl|nw_30s at coopl
#   where nw_nl is the GRASS location. Formerly only a single Location
#   was supported.
# - Installation will be easier hopefully.
#
#  Changes planned:
# - Continue efforts to extend query functions: add raster forms, ability
#   to query and show forms for rasters other than the single displayed map
# - Merge features of shellscript based GRASSLINKS v. 2.5, such as user input of site
#   data, interpolate site data, compute contours, and more database support
# - Add hierarchical display so vectors and sites are displayed only
#   for designated zoom_factors abcde where each is defined as
#   a North-South distance N-S in degrees (latlong) or meters (UTM
#   and other meter based projections. If the calculated zoom_factor
#   (NS distance) is greater than the abcde specified limits, then
#   the "zoom" is too wide and the layer is not displayed. This should
#   avoid the problem of overpopulating the map and make the system work
#   more like modern desktop GIS programs.

--
Leonard Coop
Research Associate