[GRASSLIST:2682] Re: grasslinks for grass5

Len Coop coopl at ippc2.orst.edu
Wed Nov 21 12:56:37 EST 2001

Hi Patty,

I agree with Bernhard and the recommendations of the UC Berkeley Advisory Committee on Information
Technology Sub-committee on Policies, report at
http://www.geog.ubc.ca/~acitpo/working.html
homepage at
http://www.geog.ubc.ca/~acitpo/

which recommends under section 3.2.2 of the report, a range of copyright models for Univ. Authors,
including this one I quote:

"An agreement permitting free redistribution and use for any purpose, provided that the copyright
notice is attached and
acknowledgment is made. An example of such an agreement is the standard licence of the University of
California
Board of Regents. [36]"

36 is a footnote to this link (The Berkeley License):
http://www.geog.ubc.ca/~acitpo/copyright/berkeley.html

also quoted here in full:
"Copyright (c) 1990 The Regents of the University of California.
All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
advertising materials, and other materials related to such
distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
by the University of California, Berkeley.  The name of the
University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived
from this software without specific prior written permission.
THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE."

Which is what Bernhard and I would like you to change the GRASSLinks license to.

So, to summarize, UCB recommends a range of copyrights for authors,
including the one above, which coincides with Bernhard's and my recommendations.

If the original author of GRASSLinks 3.1 (Sue Huse), and the current
maintainers of GRASSLinks (such as yourself), agree, you could change
the copyright to this one (or perhaps adopt another recommended license,
refer to report sec 3.2.2, linked above. These alternative licenses include
the GPL and the Artistic license, the former used now by GRASS, the latter used by Perl (the
language GRASSLinks is written in). The Berkeley license would make sense, is the most free (least
restrictive), and be in full accord with the UCB recommendations.

Hope this helps,
Len

--
Leonard Coop