[GRASSLIST:2560] Re: grass5 and network connections

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 7 13:37:45 EDT 2001

On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, giorgio19291 at inwind.it wrote:

>  I have a little private network of two linux machines and want to know if
>  is possible use grass5 on a computer with data and location stored on the
>  other computer of my network? (I have tried to mount filesystem where is
>  my location with smbfs or nfs but I can not open the monitors or set
>  region in this way).

Giorgio,

  You bet it is! That's exactly what we do here.

  GRASS is installed on salmo:/opt/grass5/ and _all_ spatial data are stored
on caddis:/usr4/. On caddis, in /etc/exports/ are the lines:

/usr2   192.168.55.0/24(rw)
/usr3	192.168.55.0/24(rw)
/usr4	192.168.55.0/24(rw)

  This means to export the /usrX file systems to the entire network (our
private, class C network) in read/write mode.

  On salmo, in /etc/fstab are the lines:

caddis:/usr2            /mnt/usr2       nfs     rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0
caddis:/usr3            /mnt/usr3       nfs     rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0
caddis:/usr4            /mnt/usr4       nfs     rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 0 0

  When I want to run GRASS to work on a project, I cd to
/mnt/usr4/projects/... (that is, the GRASS ``location" directory), then I
invoke GRASS5.

  $GISBASE is /mnt/usr4/projects/. Location could be nevada/, oregon/,
alaska/ or any other overall location for projects. And mapset would be the
specific project directory. I keep my PERMANENT files in the location, but
separate from each mapset.

  Works for me on my Red Hat 6.2 network. YMMV.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com