[GRASSLIST:2576] Re: Multiple UTM zones

Roger S. Miller rgrmill at rt66.com
Tue Oct 9 00:35:58 EDT 2001

Rich Shepard wrote:

>   My concern -- not based on a current project -- is when a project site
> spans the boundary of two UTM zones.

I'm working on a project now that spans the boundary between UTM zones
13 and 14.  And I'm using UTM coordinates.  In retrospect, that may not
have been the best choice.

In this particular case I managed to restrict my own analysis to zone
14.  We did have some data that crossed "the line" into zone 13, but I
used the zone 14 coordinates for those data anyway.  The more general
option would be to use a different projection; most likely either an
albers equal area or lambert conformal conic projection.  You can
customize either one to fit your needs.

If you convert your data to latitude and longitude and store it that way
then it's relatively easy to project the data using any system you
like.  In some applications your choice of projections definitely does
make a difference.  It's good to be able switch into whatever projection
is best suited to the question at hand.

Roger Miller
Lee Wilson and Associates