[GRASSLIST:2390] Sun illuminated bathymetry

Gordon Keith gordon.keith at marine.csiro.au
Tue Sep 4 21:20:12 EDT 2001

I have a digital terrain model derived from bathymetry data which I
have imported into grass.

I would like to be able to generate and view a sun-illuminated view of
the data. Most bathymetry handling packages have this capability and
you normally specify the direction you want the illumination to come
from and the degree of vertical exageration required.

I'm looking for this in grass and haven't found it yet.

I tried using r.sunmask, it reached 24% after over 24 hours CPU and 1GB
memory then sometime over the next night it segfaulted on me.

Is this functionality available and if so what modules?

Regards
Gordon