[GRASSLIST:2439] Let's algorithm!

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 17 17:46:43 EDT 2001

  I'm reorganizing my bookcases so I can better find books I need and I came
across a US Forest Service General Technical Report from a few years ago:
"VISUAL and SLOPE: Perspective and Quantitative Representation of Digital
Terrain Models". Yes, I know that GRASS has LOS and slope/aspect
capabilities, but I don't know if we can do what these programs are designed
to do. Therefore, I'm asking.

  These programs were designed for planning timber harvests and let the user
evaluate terrain for logging operations. VISUAL produces a 3D perspective of
a DTM. Well, of course, GRASS does this quite well with nviz, so that's not
of interest.

  However, the second program, SLOPE, "produces map-scaled overlays
delineating areas of equal slope, aspect or elevation". Can we delineate
such equal areas within GRASS?

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
                 Making environmentally-responsible mining happen.