[GRASSLIST:2462] Re: libpng with pre1

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Sep 19 13:32:41 EDT 2001

Gordon Keith wrote:

> I have a binary download of 5.0pre1
>
> I've just downloaded and install pngdriver_linux.tar.gz.
>
> When I attempt to use the png driver I get:
> > d.mon start=PNG
> PNG: collecting to file: map.png,
>      GRASS_WIDTH=640, GRASS_HEIGHT=480
> Graphics driver [PNG] started
> > d.mon stop=PNG
> gd-png:  fatal libpng error: Application must be recompiled; version
> 1.0.6 was incompatible
> Monitor 'PNG' terminated
>
> I take it this means I have to download the source version of grass and
> compile it?

I'm not sure that will help.

It appears that it's libgd which doesn't like your version of libpng,
rather than the application.

The PNG driver itself doesn't contain any references to PNG functions;
it only uses GD functions. It's GD which uses PNG (actually, some
versions of GD use GIF instead of PNG).