[GRASSLIST:2515] Re: GRASS for Windows???

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Fri Sep 28 06:04:59 EDT 2001

Hi Terri,

Terri Gorham wrote:

> Hi all,
> I saw a mention of GRASS for Windows in the list and wondered how well (if
> at all) GRASS has been ported to that environment.  I also saw something on
> the Baylor web page (I think it was there) about it working in Windows 95
> but could not find
> anything detailed about that.  (I have WinME, so it should work fine,
> right?) I have not used GRASS in a few years since I no longer have easy
> access to a Unix environment and would dearly love to get it to work on my
> machine.  Can anyone update me?  (Please note that I'm not a programmer and
> any installation instructions would have to be very detailed.....for
> example, how do you "compile" GRASS once you get the source code....do I
> have to have a "C" compiler or something like that??)
>
> But, to repeat the main question:  Can anyone update me about using GRASS in
> a Windows environment, please?  Thank you.

The windows port of the current GRASS (5.0.0/CVS) uses the Cygwin
environment to run on windows. Please read the web pages at
http://grass.itc.it for further information. It does not run on Windows
9x and ME out of the box and i decided not to support Windows 9x and ME,
as both are technically a dead road.

You may get a precompiled binary at the GRASS servers.

There is a commercial product (blackland grass) that runs as a native
windows port, but that product does not include the newer
code/modules/bugfixes since GRASS was licensed under the GPL.

HTH,

Andreas

url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net