[GRASSLIST:2522] Re: grid 3d

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Fri Sep 28 15:17:32 EDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 02:47:06PM +0000, Kevin Slover wrote:
> just a question..
> have there been any advances on porting the grid 3d commands to
> GRASS??  There are still several that I wish to use, but are not
> available in the release that I have...does pre2 have any more of
> these??

Hi Kevin,

the port is not the question here, it is bugfixing... There is
some confusion on coordinate system orientation in the G3D
library and some g3/r3 modules. However, s.vol.rst runs well
since it uses a sort of private routines (therefore it is
included in pre2, but not the others).

GRASS is open source, so you can extract the G3D modules from
CVS when *not* defining -r releasebranch_11_apr_2001. We would
be pretty glad if someone looks into the G3D bugs, they are
documented in a local BUGS file.
As far as I understand there have been two different 3D libraries,
an older grid3 and a newer G3D. While the grid3 operated with
different orientation to 2D GRASS, the G3D *should* be match the
2D GRASS definitions. Unfortunately there are still some inconsistencies
remaining.

Volunteers wanted!!

Kind regards

 Markus Neteler