[GRASSLIST:3424] Re: GRASS vs. TNTmips- Any comparisons?

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Wed Apr 3 22:04:07 EST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 11:12:50AM -0600, Keene Haywood wrote:
> Has anyone on this list compared GRASS with MicroImages' TNTmips product?
>  I was wondering how they might compare.

I've played with TNTlite in the past.  Very nice product.  They do
support alot of data formats and have good image processing abilities.
I did like the project file database.  Their vector capabilities are
better than GRASS (but that's not surprising), and they do support more
differentiation in the file formats (unsigned/signed 8 to 128 bit,
complex number rasters, and probably others).  I never got around to
doing any scripting, but they have what appears to be a nice extensible
object oriented scripting language, but GRASS is pretty easy to script
via standard shell scripts, and you can get alot of mileage out of
r.mapcalc...

I'd say, figure out what your needs are.  And you use TNTlite for free
(it's just hobbled by data size, and only a few functions like exporting
data -- kind of a biggy -- don't work).  GRASS, of course, is free...

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>