[GRASSLIST:3448] Re: defining default region for importing data

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Apr 4 22:15:16 EST 2002

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 09:52:48PM -0500, Bill Rising wrote:
> hello folks!
>
> I've been tearing my hair out trying to do what should be the simplest
> task: creating a new location.
>
> I've found the information needed to get the projection commonly used for
> the commonwealth of Kentucky:
> (http://giac.state.ky.us/stateplane_parameters.htm)

Warning: If you're using State Plane 83, it's very likely GRASS isn't
using the right information for that projection.  Without a little
intervention, it'll write State Plane 27 projection parameters.

You need to move grass5/etc/state27 to a backup, and rename
grass5/etc/state83 to grass5/etc/state27.

> Then... the dialog comes up for the default region, and I haven't a clue
> what to specify. Where would I look to find this information?

Just whatever would define the boundaries and resolution of your
coordinate system.  Don't fret over it too much, you can change it
later.  Understanding the region idea is a basic necessity for
understanding how GRASS normally performs operations on rasters (and
sometime sites or vectors).

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>