[GRASSLIST:3465] Re: NMEA log to GRASS vector?

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Sun Apr 7 18:40:39 EDT 2002

Thanks for the reply.

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 04:27:05AM -0700, Al Green wrote:
> I haven't used it, but s.in.garmin.sh exists.

Yes, but it doesn't help if the GRASS location is in UTM.  It only
works for lat/long databases.

> Instead of having a laptop recording NMEA sentences, try downloading the
> track data directly (can't speak for the log frequency). There is a
> package called GPStrans out there (for linux) which will do this for you.
> see http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpstrans

Yes, I have gpstrans, and have patched it for the southern hemisphere
to generate correct UTM (it was subtracting from false northing instead
of adding).  However the GPS only records location and time, not HDOP,
altitude, and the other stuff in NMEA.  Also, the GPS track is severely
pruned in the default memory-saving mode.

> http://www.linz.govt.nz/services/surveysystem/geodetic/snap/

Thanks for that, I'll look into it.

> http://bambi.otago.ac.nz/hamish/read_gps.m

Same there.