[GRASSLIST:4215] Re: mapset permission denied....

Laurent BESSON laurent at caribou.u-bourgogne.fr
Mon Aug 5 07:41:39 EDT 2002

There might be a workaround by creating the mapset on your hard disk and
using simlink to the files on the CD-ROM. The file that will have to be
writen on the disk will be wrote and the large file such as the raster
files will be on the CD-ROM.

OI know it might seem a little long to prepare but I think it will work.

Laurent

On Sat, 2002-08-03 at 16:28, John Kodis wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 09:14:12PM +0100, Glynn Clements wrote:
>
> > The set_data program (this is the one which generates the usual
> > startup screen, allowing the database, location and mapset to be
> > selected) uses the make_mapset() function (from
> > src/general/init/mke_mapset.c) when creating a new mapset.
> >
> > This function does two things:
> >
> > 1. Create the directory.
>
> This seems to imply that it's not possible to use mapsets that are
> located on read-only media, such as a CD-ROM, since this would
> involve, for example, copying /mnt/cdrom/global/PERMANENT/DEFAULT_WIND
> to /mnt/cdrom/new-mapset/WIND.  Is this correct?  Is there any
> work-around for this restriction?
>
> -- John Kodis.
* Laurent BESSON   *   Laboratoire de Cartographie   *
*                  *   Universite de Bourgogne       *
*                  *   Dijon, France                 *
*                  *   Equipe ingenierie informatique*
*                  *   et Bases de Donnees           *
*                  *   Laboratoire LE2I              *
*                  *   Universite de Bourgogne       *
*                  *   Dijon, France                 *