[GRASSLIST:4235] Re: compiling Grass5pre5 on Linux

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Aug 7 08:18:39 EDT 2002

Ulrich Leopold wrote:

> I am trying to compile Grass5pre5 on RedHat 7.2 Linux.
>
> When I start ./configure I get the following message:
>
> checking whether to use GD... yes
> checking for location of GD includes...
> checking for gd.h... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate GD includes.
>
> What does it exactly mean.

It means that is couldn't find "gd.h". Or, more precisely, attempting
to preprocess a test program which contained "#include <gd.h>" failed.

> And what is ./configure looking for?

The gd.h header, which is part of the GD package.

> And where is this usually located?

/usr/include/gd.h

For RedHat 6.2, you need the "gd" and "gd-devel" RPMs. I would assume
that it's the same for RedHat 7.2. If not, it can be obtained from:

	http://www.boutell.com/gd/

All required or optional libraries should be listed in the
REQUIREMENTS.html file.