[GRASSLIST:4379] Re: Re: Re: Nviz and OpenGL

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Mon Aug 26 08:16:44 EDT 2002

michele.rocc at libero.it wrote:

> > You need to do one of the following:
> >
> > 1. If your X server supports GLX, but it isn't enabled, then enable
> > it; for XFree86 4.x, you need the line:
> >
> >     Load "glx"
> >
> > in the "Module" section of XF86Config.
> >
> > 2. If your X server doesn't support GLX, replace your X server with
> > one which does, or
> >
> > 3. Replace your GL library (libGL.so.*) with one which implements
> > OpenGL on the client side (e.g. Mesa), eliminating the need for the X
> > server to support GLX.
>
> Actually I am using Mesa but still I have the problem, maybe there is
> some particulary extension of Mesa that I have to install?

The error message indicates that you are not using Mesa. You may have
Mesa installed, but it isn't being used. Mesa is purely client-side;
it does not require the GLX extension, it will not make any use of the
GLX extension if it does happen to be present, and it will not
complain about the fact that the X server lacks the GLX extension.

Check for the existence of libGL.so.* in /usr/X11R6/lib; if any such
files exist, rename them or move them so that they aren't found.

Mesa is typically installed in /usr/lib (if it is part of the OS
distribution), or /usr/local/lib (if you build it from source). An
OpenGL library in /usr/X11R6/lib is almost certainly a "proper" OpenGL
library, which relies upon the X server to perform the rendering.

Also, the Mesa library may be called libMesaGL.* rather than libGL.*;
if this is the case, you need to create a symlink with a suitable name
(typically "libGL.so.1").