[GRASSLIST:5144] Re: [NVIZ] nviz and topographic map

H. Bowman ihatejunkyabastards at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 3 23:12:25 EST 2002

> > > i intent to visualize a topographic map on a elevation modell in
> > > nviz using grass 5.0.0.
> >
> > This will display the image on the DEM at its true resolution but
> > this demands quite a bit of memory.
>
> thats the problem why i did not tried it. it takes al long time to
> render the image. but now it is working. And my computer is working
> hard, even though the amount of memory should be enough (1 GB and
> Athlon XP 2000+).

For massive 3D video speedups, see if your X windows has direct rendering enabled. Run 'glxinfo' and look for "direct rendering: Yes" near the top of the output, and look in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for:
Section "Module"
        Load    "dri"
	Load	"glx"

try running 'glxgears' (or maybe just 'gears') for a speed test. This will work even if DRI isn't present, but much slower.

see http://dri.sourceforge.net/ to see if your video card is supported, and for more info.

Wouldn't hurt to be running XFree86 version 4.2 either..