[GRASSLIST:5150] Re: finding sinkholes

Johannes Bühler johannesbuehler at oderbruecke.de
Wed Dec 4 20:50:13 EST 2002

Hi John
> It seems to me that the size of the sinkhole and the resolution of your
> dem would have a serious effect on what you could identify.
right, but for my purpose the quality of the data is good enough. perhaps
sinkhole is not the most felicitous word. I mean "Depressed areas".

> Valleys with
> internal drainages such as bolsons
by the way what are bolsons (my english dictionary does not include this
word)
> should show up, but a true sinkhole
> such as you see in karst topography might be too small to register,
> depending on dem resolution.  For bolsons, an hydrological analysis of
> drainage patterns for centripetal systems might work to isolate discrete
> closed basins.

i just need a simple operation/command like "find all depressed areas"
Nothing complicated.

Johannes

--
--          Johannes Buehler