[GRASSLIST:5151] Re: finding sinkholes

phrostie pfrostie at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 4 23:09:50 EST 2002

in high school i was a member of a "cavers" group.  we used to locate
caves/sink holes by looking for un-naturally straight tributaries on what
ever maps were availible.  the "straight lines" were very good indecations of
fracture zones and shallow faults that would also help form the sink holes in
the limestone.

i'm not sure how to write a program to do this, but it might be a good
starting point.

a "straight line" would have a given probability
a 90 degree bend in a "straight line" would have a higher one
the intersection of multipule straight lines would have a still higher.

if a straight line intersected,but stopped short of, a depression with no
surface drainage then you are approaching 100%

just my .019999

--
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS,
http://www.freelists.org/list/cad-linux