[GRASSLIST:5215] Re: netCDF to raster

Paul Hasenohr phasenohr at cls.fr
Wed Dec 11 09:16:37 EST 2002

Hello Vidya,

I know two ways to import netCDF files into GRASS.
1) You install R and you use R inside GRASS. R is able to read netCDF
files, so you can export your variable in GRASS. I used this method six
months ago and it worked fine.

2) An other option
You convert your netCDF file to an ascii file readable with the r.in.ascii
command.
I prefer this option because it is less system resources consuming.
I made a shell script to convert netCDF file into GRASS raster ascii file
but I use netCDF tools developed by my company and there are
not  publically available. However, if you are interested in, I can send it
to you and I believe that it is easily portable with the nco tools
(http://nco.sourceforge.net, have a look at ncks)

HTH
Paul