[GRASSLIST:3105] mac os X's libGLU

Quim Soler i Subils jsole010 at correu.udg.es
Fri Feb 8 03:45:14 EST 2002

Hello,

Some weeks ago I tried to compile nviz with the OpenGL framework bundled
with the System 10.1 too. At this moment I don't remember the exact path
but It lives in a folder under
System/Library/frameworks/OpenGL.framework with the rest of the OpenGL libraries.
I think you must write first its path into the "head" file of your grass
distribution and you will compile the code related to libGLU without
problem.

But this is not the major problem you can find compiling nviz with the
System 10.1 :-(.
It seems every platform has its own OpenGL implementation and the System
10.1 implementation (who lives into
/System/Library/frameworks/AGL.framework) doesn't work with the nviz
code. At compiling time you would find some glx's undefined symbols.

Some weeks ago this problem was discussed and Glynn Clements wrote (11/01/2002):

> [the symbols] are specific to X11. Your OpenGL library needs to be one targeted
>to X, and not to the native MacOS graphics system.
>
>XFree86 4.* includes OpenGL libraries in /usr/X11R6/lib; those should
>work.
>
>The core OpenGL API doesn't include any functions for setting up or
>controlling the rendering environment, as the details of such
>functions are tied to the graphics/windowing system. Each platform has
>its own functions to do this: glX* on X11, wgl* on Windows, agl* on
>MacOS, pgl* on OS/2.

Here I found some problems.  I downloaded a Xfree86 4.* distribution and
I compiled it but the problem still persisits.
My question is, what it's the openGL library that I should have into
/usr/X11R6/lib? Maybe it's not compiled by default

Thank you very much,
Quim Soler