[GRASSLIST:3133] Re: peatlands hydrography

David D Gray ddgray at armadce.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 08:01:16 EST 2002

Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, David D Gray wrote:
>
> [...]

>   Now, on this side of the Atlantic, a bog is completely different from a
> wetland. Bogs are cold, acidic, nutrient depleted, deep waterbodies with no
> outlets that support a growth of sphagnum moss on the top. The moss also
> supports insectivorous plants such as the sundew and pitcher plant. Wetlands
> are quite different.

Rich,

The terminology is similar here. We just use the word `mire' to cover
all habitats with wet soil conditions, all the way from ombrogenous
types as you describe above to small fens springs and flushes.

>>I know there are some modules and systems in GRASS to manage hydrographic
>>modelling in some contexts, but I have no experience of this. Any pointers
>>would be welcome.
>>

>   Take a look at SWAT (Surface Water Analysis Tool). It does hydrology and a
> whole lot more.

Thanks. I'll take a look at that. I notived there are several modules,
but wasn't sure which was the best route to follow.

David