[GRASSLIST:3169] Compiling GRASS on Debian 3.0 (Woody) from source

Al Green ihatejunkyabastards at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 05:10:08 EST 2002

If it helps anyone else-

The following gets pretty much everthing config'd in
for me with a stock installation of the current
incarnation of Debian Woody 3.0. Any packages I
already had installed, well add them too- but I don't
know what they are. I have not shifted any files or
set up any special links that I can think of.
Some of these packages may not really be needed..
  .. some depend on other stuff, but apt takes care of
that.

.deb Package       Provides..
---------------------------------
libncurses5-dev    curses.h
zlib1g-dev         zip fn's
libjpegb2-dev      \
libtiff3g-dev       |- graphics
libpng2-dev        /
task-tcltk-dev     Tcl/Tk widgets 8.3
fftw-dev           FFT Libraries
libgd-dev          gif/png support
postgresql-dev     PostgreSQL
libsqlxx-dev       ODBC ?
libgdbmg1-dev      DBM
unixodbc-dev       ODBC
libfreetype6-dev   Freetype
libmotif-dev       Motif
blas-dev           BLAS
lapack-dev         LAPACK
g77-3.0            for BLAS (& lapack as well??)
f2c                for BLAS (libf2c) unneeded?

and I use the following config line:

./configure --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.3/
--with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/postgresql/
--with-motif --with-motif-includes=/usr/X11R6/include
--with-freetype
--with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2/
--with-blas
--with-blas-libs=/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.0.3/
--with-lapack  2>&1 | tee config_log.txt

The apt-file utility was ridiculously helpful locating
all these files.
---
Once there was a Grass/Debian howto page, although it
wasn't working when I needed it last.
---
Also look for the pre-.deb'd version of grass, thanks
to Federico Di Gregorio: http://www.debian.org/~fog/
---
History: (while trying to get 5.0pre2 to go)

I ran into a problem (described in the archives
starting about April '99) on a few of my Debian/Woody
Linux machines; namely it seemingly compiled &
installed all right, but then died with the shell
complaining that /usr/local/grass5/etc/lock  File Not
Found, and you should contact your sys admin.

(The old problems back in '99 seemed to be fixed with
a glibc upgrade, and was from precompiled binaries
IIRC)

I got the same source installed fine on the Red Hat
machine across the hall.

Closer investigation revealed that the lock program
never made it into the grass5/etc/ directory. Actually
not much did. Jumped over to the source tree, compiled
it, put it where it should be, and hey, everything
works. But then it falls over looking for the
grass5/etc/set_data program which is also missing. So
try to compile that, but it coughs up some blood
complaining curses.h is missing.. ahh...it's not in
/usr/include .....

Install the Debian package libncurses5-dev, which
provides curses.h, clean up & start over, and it
works!

I guess you normally don't ever need to install stuff
from tar-balls in Debian, so a lot of the development
stuff just isn't included by default.

I think the ./configure script in 5.0pre3 may be a bit
smarter about this.

Enjoy!
Hamish