[GRASSLIST:3212] Re: GRASS-Python, or, Alber'salgorithm?/r.proj with big files

Len Coop coopl at ippc2.orst.edu
Mon Feb 25 15:39:21 EST 2002

Patrick,

I forget the number of rows-cols that I was able to re-project when I bumped my
PIII 550 box
from 256 MB to 384 MB, but it was less than the 20000x24000 (90 MB) file
I would like to reproject at the moment.

My new box (PIV 1.9 Ghz) has .5 GB Rambus memory,
which would be expensive to toss and replace with 1 GB, but I suspect that
would NOT be enough for these NLCD files. As it goes now, I CRASH the box
running r.proj, requiring a cold boot, which I have never run into before
with Linux (the process should die and not take the whole operating system
down with it). Here is the final thing I see (this after downsizing output
resolution) before the box freezes:

GRASS:~ > r.proj input=NLCD.OR location=nw_cd
Input:
Cols:   23924 (23924)
Rows:   20221 (20221)
North: 2907510.000000 (2907510.000000)
South: 2300940.000000 (2300940.000000)
West:  -2301360.000000 (-2301360.000000)
East:  -1583700.000000 (-1583700.000000)
ew-res: 29.997492
ns-res  29.997033

Output:
Cols:   12358 (12391)
Rows:   10508 (10508)
North: 46.989583 (46.989583)
South: 41.735417 (41.735417)
West:  -125.065565 (-125.065565)
East:  -115.453673 (-115.428007)
ew-res: 0.000778
ns-res  0.000500
Allocating memory and reading input map...   66%

So I maintain that r.proj seems to have big problems with big files.

Len

--
Leonard Coop
Research Associate