[GRASSLIST:3233] Re: Missing 'output' in d.his (& d.shadedmap)

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Feb 26 12:24:10 EST 2002

Karine,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 04:28:51PM +0100, Karine ZUERCHER wrote:
> Glynn,
>
> Thanks a lot for your enlightenment!
>
> I use the shaded maps only to produce backround images (of let's say a
> geology raster layer shaded with a topography-aspect, so you get an idea of
> geology and relief in the flat 2d map view), images I then want to use as
> base layer in a GIS-web application.
> (More an esthetics use maybe. But I like the speed of d.rast to get the PNG
> image... .
> And maybe I'm doing those maps the wrong way...
> I was always wondering, if using an Aspect map was the right way to show
> relief.)

concerning the latter: You may want to try

 shade.rel.sh altitude=30 azimuth=270 elevation=elevation.dem

and use the resulting shade map for shading. In my opinion the
result is nicer than using the aspect map from r.slope.aspect (due to
the different sun angle). Of course you may play with the
settings.
There are some funny differences with visual perception:
Some people see the relief inverted on a shaded DEM with certain
sun angles. You may try with your collegues (try the opposite sun
position and ask two or three collegues, 2-3 are usually enough to
get different answers where valleys and ridges are located...).

Best regards

 Markus Neteler

--
Markus Neteler

ITC-irst, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica
     Project on Predictive Models for the Environment
Via Sommarive, 18        -      38050 Povo (Trento), Italia
tel +39 0461 314 -520 (fax -591)          http://mpa.itc.it