[GRASSLIST:3255] Slope data under a ship track.

Gordon Keith gordon.keith at csiro.au
Wed Feb 27 19:09:10 EST 2002

I have a problem I was wondering if grass could solve, and if so the
easiest method.

I have a bathymetry dataset I have imported into grass and generated
slope and aspect rasters. (~20m resolution, lat long coordinate system)

I have a ship track consisting of latitude and longitude coordinates
every 90m (0.05Nm) along the ship's track. There are a few thousand
such intervals.

What I would like is for each interval in the ship track (start and end
lat/lon coordinates) to know the average (or max) slope of all points
within say 30m of the line between the two points.

My guess is that I would have to format each pair of points as a file I
could pass to v.in.ascii, convert the vector to a raster (v.to.rast),
use r.buffer to get the surrounding area, use the buffer as a mask
(r.mask), and collect the statistics from the masked area
(r.statistics), output the results of the statists (r.stats) and
reformat the output.

Is there a tider way of doing this?

FWIW The area I'm trying to gather the statistics for is the footprint
of a single beam echosounder over the area where an index of the bottom
type has been calculated by integration of the echo return. This
statistic should give some sort of measure of the quality of index
calculated.

Regards
Gordon

--

Gordon Keith
Programmer/Data Analyst

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates, 1981