[GRASSLIST:3268] Re: Wrestling with Grass5 env variables

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Thu Feb 28 22:28:08 EST 2002

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:28:17PM +0000, Glynn Clements wrote:

> William W. Hargrove wrote:
>
> > I don't want to have to execute the grass5 script *at all*, I just
> > want to have access to the grass commands and the rest of the linux
> > commands available at any time.  This used to work great under 4.1,
> > but I can't seem to get it to go under 5.0.0.pre3.
> >
> > I have set these env variables in .bashrc:
>
> AFAICT, the complete set of environment variables which are set by the
> "grass5" script and etc/Init.sh is:

I think you forgot about the "eval g.gisenv", which may set quite
a few more environment variables (depending on what's in ~/.grassrc5).

[snip]
> > I'm willing to take responsibility for cleaning up .tmp files.
> >
> > What about concurrency issues, since I will not have a .gislock5
> > file?
>
> As well as writing to files within the current mapset, various
> commands update the file specified by $GISRC. I suggest creating a new
> file for each session, e.g.:

Concurrency might be an issue for edits/writes of data sets if two or
more users are creating editing data in the same location.  There's
also the issue of the current region, which could create some real
headaches.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>