[GRASSLIST:4005] Re: Grass 5.0pre5 Installation Problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jul 3 00:06:09 EDT 2002

Philip S. Wood wrote:

> I have recently tried to install Grass 5.0 from source
> on a Linux/GNU system (Mandrake 8.0).
>
> The system gets configured, built and installed without any problems.

Are you sure? Did you check the error.log file?

> The resulting system, however, does not work.
>
> When I invoke grass5 it complains about not finding a lock file:
>  /usr/local/grass5/etc/lock.
> If I create a lock file (touch lock),
> it warns me that it can't find grass_intro and then
> complains about not finding
>  /usr/local/grass5/etc/set_data

It appears that some key parts of GRASS haven't been built,
specifically the src/general/init directory. This should be indicated
in error.log. The actual error messages will be in the output from
"make". If you didn't save these to a file, use:

	gmake5 src/general/init

to build that directory, and note any error messages.

Make that "./configure, make, look at error.log, and make install".