[GRASSLIST:4023] gdal on cygwin

Thomas Dewez thomas.dewez at brunel.ac.uk
Thu Jul 4 10:45:54 EDT 2002

Dear list,

I found quite a bit of info about GDAL libraries and the way to set it up so
GRASS is happy importing all sorts of GIS formats. This is fine as long as
the GDAL can be built as a shared library. I discovered on the GDAL website
that Cygwin could not handle shared libraries (*.so file)
http://www.remotesensing.org/gdal/gdal_building.html

Therefore the command export (see below) is ineffective as GRASS is looking
for a specific *.so file
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/wherever_gdal_is_located

How I should proceed to get gdal libraries up and running with Windows XP
running Cygwin and GRASS5.0pre3 ?

Thomas