[GRASSLIST:4042] Re: GRASS5.0.0pre5 binaries

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat Jul 6 07:42:51 EDT 2002

Ben Logan wrote:

> I just compiled Grass5.0.0pre5 on my Redhat 7.1 Linux box yesterday.
> Am I correct in assuming that if I ran 'make bindist', the result
> would be a binary distribution which I could pass around?

The details for making binary distributions are in the file
documents/release_rules.txt.

The main issues for creating binaries for distribution (as opposed to
private use) are:

1. The binaries should be stripped.
2. NVIZ should be compiled *without* PostgreSQL support.

Also, all of the system libraries which are used should be compatible
with the versions from the OS install CD (i.e. those versions or
*minor* upgrades provided by the OS vendor). If you've installed major
upgrades of any of the system libraries, or are using versions which
were built from source, the resulting binaries may not work on other
systems.

Basically, if the binaries are described as being for "RedHat 7.1",
they need to run on a standard RedHat 7.1 installation. Users won't be
very happy about downloading a ~30Mb package only to find that it
doesn't work.