[GRASSLIST:4141] Re: state plane - newbie

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Tue Jul 23 21:28:01 EDT 2002

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 09:43:13PM -0600, Richard Greenwood wrote:
> I am creating a new location in state plane, wyoming west zone, nad83, feet.
> But g.region.sh -l (print region settings in lat/lon) returns latitudes that
> are off by about 1 degree, and longitudes that are off by 8 degrees. I am new
> to GRASS so maybe I am doing something wrong. Where would I look for the
> definitions of FIPS code and coordinate system parameters?

You probably noticed, GRASS didn't ask you whether you wanted state
plane 83 or state plane 27.  Well, it's kind of hardwired to use
state plane 27.  To get around that:

$ cd grass5/etc/
$ mv state27 state27.real
$ ln -s state83 state27

Do that before creating locations and importing data.

Also note, that GRASS uses the international foot for it's feet to
meters conversion.  You'll have to find out whether Wyoming uses
the statute foot vs. the international foot, if this discrepancy
would be important to you (it was intended that all states use
meters for state plane 83, so now it's just a mish mash...) You
can change the unit conversion in the PROJ_UNITS file if needed.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>