[GRASSLIST:3815] Re: grass_src_pre4 configure problem

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sun Jun 2 23:49:53 EDT 2002

Radoslav Bonk wrote:

> I am compiling grass_src_pre4 version, anf I got into strange problems
> in configure procedure of the compilation. It seems like configure
> script doesn't like several *.h files located at proper locations. The
> locations are giving to the system by proper *--with-*-includes=DIRS"
> options. However the "configure" script doesn't recognize them.
>
> ./configure --prefix=/home/rado/bin/ --bindir=/usr/local/bin --with-tcltk --without-fftw --with-gdal --with-dbm-includes=/usr/include/gdbm --without-jpeg --without-gd --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include --with-includes=/usr/include --with--postgres-includes=/usr/include/pgsql
>
> OUTPUTS:
> checking for location of Tcl/Tk includes... /usr/include
> checking for tcl.h... yes
> checking for tk.h... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate Tk includes.
> #BOTH tcl.h, AND tk.h FILES ARE IN THE SAME DIR! SCRIPT ACCEPT tcl.h BUT NOT tk.h!
>
> #THE SAME FOR POSTGRESQL SUPPORT:
> checking whether to use PostgreSQL... yes
> checking for location of PostgreSQL includes...
> checking for libpq-fe.h... no
> configure: error: *** Unable to locate PostgreSQL includes.
>
> Output from locate command:
> /usr/include/pgsql/libpq-fe.h
> /usr/include/tk.h
> /usr/include/tcl.h
>

> All the *.h files are in the system, but for some reason configure
> script doesn't recongize them. Any suggestion??

The configure check for headers involves running the C preprocessor on
a test program which includes that header and checking whether the
command succeeded.

If the header itself exists, but the configure check fails, that
normally indicates that the header includes some other header which
can't be found.

E.g. tk.h includes <X11/Xlib.h>. If this can't be found, the check
will fail. libpq-fe.h may include other postgres headers, which might
be located in a different directory (unfortunately, there are many
different permutations of places where postgres headers may live).

Check the "config.log" file which is created by the configure script.
If a check fails, that file should contain any error messages which
are generated by the preprocessor/compiler/linker.