[GRASSLIST:3903] Re: Grass5.0.0pre4 Installation Problems(cont.)

Neil.Murphy at axa.ie Neil.Murphy at axa.ie
Tue Jun 18 04:27:52 EDT 2002

Thanks for those comments Mr H.

I feel the problem lies with curses.h. The directory
/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/ is missing lock and quite a few others aswell
I checked all packages installed and all looks ok.Curses is definately
installed and curses.h is there.

One of the errors from the config log is as follows

configure:3634: checking for curses.h
configure:3642: gcc -E   conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
configure:3673: checking curses.h WINDOW structure component
configure:3685: gcc -c -g -O2   conftest.c 1>&5
configure: In function `main':
configure:3681: structure has no member named `maxy'
configure: failed program was:
#line 3676 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
#include <curses.h>
int main()
{WINDOW w; w.maxy = 0;
; return 0; }
configure:3703: gcc -c -g -O2   conftest.c 1>&5

Unfortunately I don't have the experience to know the next step so any help
would be appreciated.

Regards

                    "H."
                    <ihatejunkyabastards@        To:     Neil.Murphy at axa.ie
                    yahoo.com>                   cc:
                                                 Subject:     Re: [GRASSLIST:3891] Grass5.0.0pre4 Installation Problems(cont.)
                    17/06/02 11:26

> I am still trying to install Grass5.0.0pre4 correctly on Mandrake 8.2
>
> When I try to run grass I get the following as a user or as root
>
> [neil at localhost bin.i686-pc-linux-gnu]$ ./grass5
> /home/neil/project/grass5.0.0pre4/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/Init.sh:
> /home/neil/project/grass5.0.0pre4/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/lock: No
> such file or directory
> Unable to properly access /home/neil/.gislock5
> Please notify system personel.

Ok, I had this problem on my Debian machine when I first compiled GRASS
several -pre's ago. The immediate problem was the 'lock' program didn't
compile, and therefore didn't exist to run.

look in /usr/src/grass5.0.0pre4/dist.i686-pc-linux-gnu/etc/
or thereabouts. Should see something like:

$ ls
agnps50/       frame.create*  i.oif/        permut*
b.a.plus*      frame.dumper*  lister/       projections
bin/           frame.list*    lock*         r.combine*
census.docs/   frame.select*  modcats*      r.fea/
clean_temp*    freetypecap    modcolr*      rgb.txt
copy*          front.end*     modhead*      run*
datum.table    Gcolortab/     modhist*      r.weight*
db.attr*       geo.point*     monitorcap    set_data*
digcap         geo.quest*     mon.list*     sites/
digcap.sample  geo.reg*       mon.release*  s.o2n.tps*
dig_drivers/   geo.unlock*    mon.select*   splitfont*
digitizers/    getModTime*    mon.start*    sroff*
d.siter/       grass_intro    mon.status*   s.sweep*
echo*          help/          mon.stop*     state27
element_list   i.ask*         mon.which*    state83
ellipse.table  i.find*        nad/          v.build*
FIPS.code      imagery/       nad2bin*      v.from.3*
font_2_bin*    in_arc*        nviz2.2/      water/
font.bin       Init.sh*       paint/

If 'lock' isn't there, it never compiled. For me, just about all of that
directory didn't compile without curses.h, which was the root of the
problem.

*** Study the output of ./configure for missing stuff! ***

=> Try 'locate missingfile.h' to see if it is installed.
   Try './configure --help' for --include-XX-libs=DIRS info, to explictly
point configure to where they are.

It used to _not break_ when it was missing something, when it really
should of. I had thought that this was fixed though.

Just found my old message about this:
History: (while trying to get 5.0pre2 to go)
I ran into a problem described in the archives starting
about April '99 on a few of my Debian/Woody Linux
machines; namely it seemingly compiled & installed all
right, but then died with the shell complaining that
/usr/local/grass5/etc/lock  File Not Found, and you
should contact your sys admin.

(The old problems back in '99 seemed to be fixed with
a glibc upgrade, and was from precompiled binaries
IIRC)

I got the same source installed fine on the Red Hat
machine across the hall.

Closer investigation revealed that the lock program
never made it into the etc/ directory. Actually not
much did. Jumped over to the source tree, compiled it,
put it where it should be, and hey, everything works.
But then it falls over looking for the etc/set_data
program which is also missing. So try to compile that,
but it coughs up some blood complaining curses.h is
missing.. it's not in /usr/include .....

Install the Debian package libncurses5-dev, which
provides curses.h, clean up & start over, and it
works!

I guess you normally don't ever need to install stuff
from tar-balls in Debian, so a lot of the development
stuff isn't included by default.

I think the ./configure script in 5.0pre3 may be a bit
smarter about this. [indeed it is]

Enjoy!
Hamish

==========these are the debian packages I needed==========
(should at least point you in the right direction)

.deb Package       Provides..
---------------------------------
libncurses5-dev    curses.h
zlib1g-dev         zip fn's
libjpegb2-dev      \
libtiff3g-dev       |- graphics
libpng-dev         /

task-tcltk-dev     Tcl/Tk widgets 8.3
fftw-dev           FFT Libraries
libgd2-dev         gif/png support

postgresql-dev     PostgreSQL
libsqlxx-dev       ODBC ? conflicts with unixodbc-dev?
libgdbmg1-dev      DBM
unixodbc-dev       ODBC
libfreetype6-dev   Freetype
libmotif-dev       Motif
blas-dev           BLAS
lapack-dev         LAPACK
g77-3.0            for BLAS (& lapack as well??)
f2c                for BLAS (libf2c) unneeded?

and I use the following config line:

CFLAGS="-O3 -mcpu=pentiumpro -Wall" LDFLAGS="-s" ./configure \
   --with-tcltk-includes=/usr/include/tcl8.3/ \
   --with-postgres-includes=/usr/include/postgresql/ --with-motif \
   --with-motif-includes=/usr/X11R6/include --with-freetype \
   --with-freetype-includes=/usr/include/freetype2/ --with-blas \
   --with-blas-libs=/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/3.0.3/ \
   --with-lapack  2>&1 | tee config_log.txt

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

Arrange your Insurance online with www.AXA.ie

Car Quote : http://www.axa.ie/motorpol/requestquote.html
Home Quote : http://www.axa.ie/homepol/request.html

The contents and any attachments of this electronic mail message are
confidential and intended only for the named addressees.

Dissemination, forwarding, publication or other use of the message
or attachments by any unauthorised person is strictly prohibited.
Unless stated to the contrary, any opinions expressed in this message
are personal and may not be attributed to AXA Ireland, AXA Insurance,
or any member of the AXA Group of Companies.

Internet e-mails are not necessarily secure. AXA Group does not accept
responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.