[GRASSLIST:3924] Can't start monitor

Helmer Schack-Kirchner Helmer.Schack-Kirchner at bodenkunde.uni-freiburg.de
Fri Jun 21 03:52:10 EDT 2002

We have successfully compiled and installed Grass5.0.0pre4 on linux
(SUSE8.0), however the <d.mon start=x0> command produces the following
error code:
"Could not execute monitor: No such file or directory. No socket to
connect for monitor <x0>. Will try once more. No socket to connect to
for monitor <x0>."
(This problem has yet been reported as [GRASSLIST:2839] Re: d.mon can't
bind to socket ), however, the answers did not help us:
We have read-write-execute-permission on /tmp/grass-$USER, on /tmp and
on the directory containing our mapset. /tmp/grass-$USER
directory does not contain any files.

Is there anyone who can help us? Is it possibly a problem of the
Linux-Distribution (SUSE 8.0)?