[GRASSLIST:3951] Re: error while loading shared libraries

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Jun 25 13:12:46 EDT 2002

Ulrich Leopold wrote:

> Is the following error message a bug in GRASS5.0.0pre3 or a problem in
> my system?

> /usr/local/arch/grass5/driver/PNG: error while loading shared libraries:
> libgd.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

If you built GRASS from source, it's a problem with your system. If
you obtained pre-compiled binaries, it may be a problem with your
system, or it may just be that the binaries aren't compatible with
your system.

You need to have the GD library, and it needs to be installed
correctly. You also need the appropriate version; however, the binary
which you have has been linked against a library which doesn't include
the version in the library's "soname", so I can't tell which version
you need.