[GRASSLIST:3286] re-compile a display driver

John Gillette JGillette at rfmd.com
Mon Mar 4 17:49:43 EST 2002

I have just compiled GD version 1.8.4.  I want to add a PNG driver.
I previously used without: dbm, gd, postgress, odbc, fftw. I am not sure
how to go back and add the PNG driver (without completely recompiling).

(1) Do I need to rerun ./config and modify --without-gd to
--with-gd-includes=/<path to GD>/include --with-gd-libs=/<path to GD>/lib ?

(2) Do I cd down into .../grass5.0.0pre3/src/display/devices or do I
    go down to .../grass5.0.0pre3/src/display/devices/PNGdriver and
   execute /<path to binaries>/gmake5 -i and
    /<path to binaries>/gmakelink5 -i ?

(3) Or should I just recompile the whole thing?

(4) recently there were updates made to implement -GRASS_BACKGROUNDCOLOR
and
     -GRASS_TRANSPARENT (see [GRASSLIST:3113] ).  If I download from

http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass/src/display/devices/PNGdriver/
<http://freegis.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/grass/src/display/devices/PNGdriver/
>   and replace
   what I currently have would that include those recent changes?

(5) I am on a Sun which only has pseudo color (?) display.  I assume the PNG
driver will give me
     an 8 bit color output file (with GD 1.8.4) IRRESPECTIVE of the hardware
I have.  (I will then
    drag this to my windows box and view it with Internet Explorer and have
lots more colors)
    Is this assumption correct?

Thanks

John Gillette