[GRASSLIST:3304] r.stats

Gordon Keith gordon.keith at csiro.au
Wed Mar 6 22:37:57 EST 2002

I'm working my way through getting various statistics out of grass
using r.statistics, and things seem a little broken. I'm currently
running 5.0 pre1, but there is no mention of fixes to these routines in
the release notes.

Has anything changed since pre1 to make it worth getting a more recent
version?

Particular problems I am having:

> r.statistics base=facies cover=gabo20_slope method=average
out=avg_slope
Sorry, <z> is not a valid flag

> r.statistics base=facies cover=gabo20_slope method=median
out=avg_slope
r.stats: ERROR reading r.stats output
> ERROR: no rules specified

> r.median base=facies cover=gabo20_slope out=avg_slope
r.stats: ERROR reading r.stats output
> ERROR: no rules specified

r.statistics method=min or max gives the first base category a value of
0 and omits all the other categories.

r.average works, but formats the output such that r.stats -l doesn't
give meaningful results eg:

> r.statistics base=facies cover=gabo20_slope method=stddev
out=std_slope
> r.stats -l std_slope
6 1.201934
7 4.670386
8 1.855619
9 2.427760
10 2.465637
* no data

is good, but

> r.average  base=facies cover=gabo20_slope out=avg_slope
> r.stats -l avg_slope
r.stats: 0.419177-0.427731 from  to
0.727111-0.735665 from  to
0.761326-0.769879 from  to
2.591819-2.600373 from  to
* no data

is useless.

I can get at the results of r.average via r.info, but it takes a lot
more reformatting.

Regards
Gordon
--

Gordon Keith
Programmer/Data Analyst

"But what... is it good for?"
- Engineer at Advanced Computing Systems Division of IBM, 1968,
commenting on the role of the microchip.