[GRASSLIST:3331] r.in.gdal (a newbie question)

Elsa Rintala erint at cc.jyu.fi
Tue Mar 12 06:36:53 EST 2002

Hello, dear list!

I'm having problems using the r.in.gdal program (for importing .img
files). I've noticed this has been discussed here many times, but since
I'm a newbie to Linux as well as Grass, I've had difficulties
understanding the answers provided earlier...

What exactly is the situation with r.in.gdal? Do you have to go get it
from www.remotesensing.org (as instructed in some answers), and compile it
on your computer - allthough there already is a binary file r.in.gdal in
/usr/local/grass5/bin and a libgdal.1.1.so file in the
/usr/local/grass5/lib . And why it is that despite of this the program
reports not finding the above mentioned library file in the above
mentioned folder?

The error report tells also that the LD_LIBRARY_PATH =
/usr/local/grass5/lib and that it cannot find configuration file
/etc/exim.conf - which indeed doesn't exist (or I just failed to notice
it). In an earlier answer to r.in.gdal problems one was instructed to
export /usr/local/lib as the LD_LIBRARY_PATH, wich doesn't make sense to
me since the libgdal... file is not located there.

I would be most thankful, if someone had time to clear these probably very
obvious things to me!

yours,
elsa :)

ps. I'm using debian stable and grass5.0.0pre3. (the one at the moment
available on the web site).