[GRASSLIST:3340] Good Book on Map Projection Theory

chris2 chris2 at hopelesscase.com
Fri Mar 15 10:44:16 EST 2002

I've run across the following book, which I haven't gotten my hot little hands on yet, but which I am going to recommend to this list anyway for reasons I'll prattle on about shortly:

"Linear Algebra, Geodesy, and GPS", Gilbert Strang

I have started reading another book by the same author, "Introduction to Linear Algebra", and can't put the book down. This guy is *really* good at explaining mathematics.

I have been in search of a good book on the theory of map projections for some time now and occassionaly molest the GRASSLIST with my pleas for help.  I tried Bugayevskiy and Snyder and didn't like it at all (I felt the authors didn't explain themselves).

If anyone else is in my shoes (just dying to acquire a solid understanding of the theory of map projections and to find a good book to help them), you might consider looking at this book.  Although the book is not mainly about map projection, I guessing from its table of contents that it explains how UTM works in some detail, which is mostly what I have been looking for anyway.

Has anyone else run into this book, or this author?

I can't believe what a find he is.

Chris Marshall