[GRASSLIST:3378] seeking advice on improving results with s.surf.rst

Neil Ripley neilripley at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 25 12:02:35 EST 2002

Hello all,

I am attempting to interpolate a continuous surface using s.surf.rst. My
source data is a rasterized contour map which I have converted into a GRASS
site file using the r.to.sites command.

The problem I have is that the segment edges are very apparent in the
results I am getting from s.surf.rst. I am not getting a smoothly continuous
surface as I expect I should. Instead I have clear and distinct breaks that
coincide with the segmentation boundaries.

I have tried running the operation with different segmax values, different
tension values, and different smoothness settings in an effort to reduce or
eliminate the discontinuities but with little success.

Has anyone got any advice they would be willing to share on how to go about
producing surfaces from contours using s.surf.rst?

Thanks,

Neil Ripley
Dept. of Geography
University of Western Ontario