[GRASSLIST:3379] Category labels in dig_cats

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo arifsaha at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 25 19:56:53 EST 2002

Hi!

I just started using GRASS 5.0. Great program! Thanks to all who
contribute the development!

I have question about the category labels in dig_cats. I imported a
vector-based map from .e00 format using m.in.e00, and it produced several
category label files in dig_cats for each layer (e.g. roads.roadclass,
roads.num-lanes, roads.interst#, roads.us#, etc. for roads layer). As I
search in this mailing list archive, it seems that GRASS cannot [yet] deal
with multiple label files, only one at the time.

Below I have several questions about GRASS:

1. Are the labels only for labeling / naming objects, or GRASS can
actually consider it as 'property' of the objects, and therefore can draw
objects with appearance depend on this 'property' (label)? Or are there
different attributing mechanism for this purpose?

2. How to make a map drawing that also display the category labels for
each objects?

3. If for each category I combine all the labels of that category, and put
it in new category labels' file, will this work? Will I lost some
functionality because of this combining of labels?

4. How to create a new layer that contain a subset of an old layer, only
the objects that have certain condition in its category labels (e.g. '>0',
'<>"CI"', etc.)?

5. How to make a 'display set' that contain several vector layer, each
have their own appearance, that will be drawn together, exported together,
printed together, etc.?

6. Any idea on a path of exporting vector format from GRASS to other
formats accessible to end-user layout / business applications (StarOffice,
Freehand, MS Office, etc.)?

Thank you!

--
                                   S P Arif Sahari Wibowo