[GRASSLIST:3661] Re: Restated question about binaries for OSX

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Sat May 11 02:03:47 EDT 2002

Michael Barton wrote:

> Given the recent set of posts, I need to rephrase my previous question.
>
> > Are the precompiled binaries (specifically the binary for OS-X) compiled with
> > or without PostgreSQL, gdal, R, and other programs that are commonly set up to
> > work with GRASS (but are optional in the compile)?
>
> That is, is the binary for OSX compiled with the ­with Postgres switch etc.
> (so that it expects to find PostgreSQL, gdal, R, etc.) on the system? Or is
> it compiled with all these switches set to --without ***?

I don't know about the OSX binaries, but the documented procedure for
building binary packages is to first configure --without-postgres,
build everything, then re-configure --with-postgres, and build just
the postgres modules.

The only reason why this matters is that NVIZ can be built with or
without postgres support. If it was built with postgres support, it
wouldn't run on systems without postgres, so it's built without
postgres support.

As for the other dependencies, each one is generally confined to a few
specific programs, which simply won't run without that dependency. The
binary distributions include all of the programs, but some of them
won't run unless you have the corresponding dependency (e.g.
r.{in,out}.png require the PNG library, etc).

BTW, nothing in GRASS depends upon R. The GRASS/R interface requires
GRASS (and R), but is otherwise completely separate from GRASS itself.

> I would guess that Markus Neteler would be best able to answer this one
> specifically for OSX. However, for the list at large, this would be useful
> information for binaries for other systems too.

IIRC, the MacOS X binaries were built by Jeshua Lacock of OpenOSX.com.