[GRASSLIST:3719] Re: Linux vs. Windows 2000 port

Erin ODoherty/RMRS/USDAFS eodoherty at fs.fed.us
Wed May 22 13:17:31 EDT 2002

I have a dual boot on my PC at home and find it a pain when I want to move
GRASS information into Windows (where I do all my word processing, e-mail,
and stats).    I have to reboot  to move back and forth (or am I missing
something) and I'm too impatient for that.   I think I'll keep the old
Pentium 3, and run Mandrake.  Thanks for the tip about display card, I may
have to upgrade it.

Erin O'Doherty

Personally I would dual-boot the box, but that depends on:

1)Whether you have spare disk space, and if you are using FAT32
somewhere (as it can be resized easily by most linux distros), or if you
have alternate ways of making space on the disk

2)What display card you have, and whether it has 3d support under linux
(if you use stuff like nviz).

I had troubles with the win port of grass5, it was much easier to
install Mandrake 8.2 and teach someone how to use it than setting it up
under winxp (as I had to get another student going with it).

Note of course that bash is available for win32 (cygwin port).

Btw, RPMs for Mandrake 8.2 are on their way, there are already RPMs of
pre3 in the Mandrake cooker ...

Buchan