[GRASSLIST:4914] Re: Problems with importing polar data

Eric G. Miller egm2 at jps.net
Fri Nov 8 22:12:12 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 02:57:02PM -0800, Anton B. Ivanov wrote:
> Hello GRASS gurus!

> PS. here's PROJ_INFO and PROJ_UNITS pair for my location. I work with
> Martian data, so geoid is that of Mars and no datum has been specified.

Mars?

> PROJ_INFO
>  ----------------------------------
> name: Universal Polar
> Stereographic
> proj: ups
> ellps: mars_iau2000
> a: 33961900.0000000000
> es:0.0117373700
> f: 169.8944472236
> lat_0: -55.0000000000
> lon_0: 0.0000000000
> south: defined
> -------------------------------
> PROJ_UNITS
> -------------------------------
> unit: degree
> units: degrees
> meters: 59272.9493611000

The above does not look correct, but I don't have experience with UPS.
Anyway, the proj doc OF-90-284.ps says UPS has the following default
parameters:

k: 0.9994 (scale factor)
lat_0: 0
x_0: 2000000 (meters)
y_0: 2000000 (meters)
lat_0: 90N (north) or 90S (south)
south: ?

Units should be meters AFAIK. So,

unit: meter
units: meters
meters: 1.0

g.setproj appears busted for this projection (can someone confirm?).

--
static const char signature[] =
	"Copyright (c) 2002 Eric G. Miller <egm2 at jps.net>";