[GRASSLIST:4642] Re: Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS Approach

Richard Greenwood Rich at GreenwoodMap.com
Thu Oct 3 22:04:49 EDT 2002

At 07:21 PM 10/3/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I just saw a reference in yesterday's Grasslist digest to that "Open
>Source GIS: A GRASS GIS
>Approach" book.  Is that a pretty good resource?  I saw the link on the
>Grass homepage, and I've been thinking about ordering it.  Is it suitable
>for someone who's not very familiar with GIS/geodesy?  Furthermore, are
>there any land surveying examples in it?  Thanks.

IMO the book is great. GRASS has pretty good on-line help, and I have found
this list very helpful, but having a book I can hold hold in my hands has
really made me a much more proficient GRASS user. It is not just a print
out of man pages. The book is well organized, so it offers a good top down
perspective, but it also has nice succinct command references. As a land
surveyor, I can say that it does not have any land surveying examples (or
if it does, I missed them). But check out the ortho-rectification module...

Many thanks to Markus & Helena for all of the hard work they put into the book.

Rich

Richard W. Greenwood, PLS
Greenwood Mapping, Inc.
Rich at GreenwoodMap.com