[GRASSLIST:4653] Re: GRASS 5.0.0 on OS X Jaguar (10.2.1)

Scott W Mitchell smitch at eos.geog.utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 4 14:10:41 EDT 2002

Argh, sure enough, I was chasing the proverbial goose.  I DID have an
error involving E_edit_cellhd at one point, and that seemed to be
breaking src/general/init, but I think that was caused by (unknowingly)
still having the old source tree around, AND old copies of gmake5 and
gmakelinks5 (with the env vbls pointing to the old source tree) in
fink's bin directory even though the grass package that used to be
installed there was long gone.  Good grief!

When I wrote yesterday I had actually already cleared up that problem,
but I think I must have neglected to make clean and since I had been
using gmake5 "manually" within the tree things must have got confused.
  ANYWAYS everything cleaned up now, my only remaining source tree is
fresh although it DOES have the change from libedit to libgedit now in
make.mid, and grass builds successfully with the following exceptions:

Errors:  (I've broken up the errors with ------... and added make
output)

-----------------
Compilation error in module: src/libes/vect32/georef (ignored)

OK, this is the known symbol problem, it just isn't as important as I
thought.  If it interests / would help anyone, I've isolated what I can
figure out is relevant from the developer documentation and man pages
on linking in os X, and can make that available.  I don't see anything
obvious myself, but am not sure what to look for.

--------------------------
Compilation error in module: src/display/d.zoom (ignored)

Hmm, that's pretty important.  Here's the error:

/Volumes/newData/smitchHome/src/grass-5.0.0/src/display/d.zoom/cmd
   make -f OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/make.rules

gcc -I/Volumes/newData/smitchHome/src/grass-5.0.0/src/include -g -O2
-I/sw/include   -c set.c -o OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/set.o
set.c:11: conflicting types for `round'
/usr/include/architecture/ppc/math.h:274: previous declaration of
`round'
make[1]: *** [OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/set.o] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

That sounds familiar, I know I read of the same error regarding 'round'
somewhere else, but I only remember that there was an explanation, not
what it was.  I will track it down.

Same error for i.pca, by the way.

--------------------
Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.in.gdal (ignored)

/Volumes/newData/smitchHome/src/grass-5.0.0/src/raster/r.in.gdal
   make -f OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/make.rules

gcc
-L/Volumes/newData/smitchHome/src/grass-5.0.0/src/libes/LIB.powerpc-
apple-darwin6.1 -L/sw/lib -o
/Volumes/newData/smitchHome/src/grass-5.0.0/dist.powerpc-apple-
darwin6.1/etc/bin/cmd/r.in.gdal OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/main.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/gbgetsymbol.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/gdalbridge.o
OBJ.powerpc-apple-darwin6.1/make_loc.o \
         -ldl -lgis -lI -lproj  -lz
ld: Undefined symbols:
_GBGetSymbol
make: ***
[/Volumes/newData/smitchHome/src/grass-5.0.0/dist.powerpc-apple-
darwin6.1/etc/bin/cmd/r.in.gdal] Error 1

Is this the same linking trouble as in libgeo ?

------------
Compilation error in module: src/raster/r.sun (ignored)

I've fixed that by commenting out an include of malloc.h in main.c, and
it seems to work fine now.

Compilation error in module: src.contrib/GMSL/g3d/src3d/sites/s.vol.rst
(ignored)

A bunch of files there also included malloc.h, I've commented and it
now compiles.  I don't have anything suitable to test it with, but am
not concerned much about it just now.

Thanks,

Scott Mitchell